Frequently Asked Questions
Wix.com is an online platform that allows you to build and host websites.
It is perhaps the easiest platform to use, making the website deployment time very fast, and therefore I can provide the site at a lower cost.
Since it is easy to use, this means you will be able to update your site yourself, reducing the potential need to pay someone else to make any changes you require in the future.
Wix is a 'closed source' environment (as opposed to 'open source') and thus features and functions of Wix are closely controlled, monitored and tested to ensure they are working properly. (This is similar to the iPhone environment.)
- Easier to Manage and Update
- Cheaper Creation Packages
- Quicker Creation/Launch Time
- All Services, payments in One Place (Hosting, Domain, Design Platform)
- Has many free plug-ins provided by Wix that meet basic needs well.
- Tested and Reliable Plug-ins
Things to Consider:
- Annual Fees (Starting at around $100 per year)
- Includes Hosting Fees
- Some Limited Design / Functionality
- Limited Amount of Plug-ins
WordPress is the world's most-used website platform, powering around 25% of all websites on the internet.
It is an extremely versatile and powerful Content Management System that is perfect for businesses that want a platform that can grow and scale with them.
It is an 'open source' environment. This means the code is available to anybody to modify and develop. Therefore a great number of themes and plugins exist and continue to be produced for it, which can be a excellent thing. The downside, however, is there is little or no quality control and plugins and themes can either be excellent or total garbage. (This is more akin to the Android environment.)
WordPress demands ongoing maintenance to update the platform, plugins and themes to ensure they are stable and secure. It is also a little trickier to make more significant design or content updates.
In the majority of instances an appropriate theme (template) can be found and modified to suit your needs which keeps development costs down. If you are looking for a totally custom-built website you would be looking at a price of tens of thousands of dollars.
It is used by some of the biggest brands in the world including:
The Bottom Line
- Wix and WordPress are both excellent platforms to develop a website.
- The biggest difference is ease-of-use and speed-of-use (both during development and for future updates and modifications.)
- WordPress has more customisation and flexibility but with that comes more time, effort and money.
- Wix is a controlled environment with limited customization, but with that comes reliability, ease of use, and cheaper deployment costs.
The Basic Package is the best option for anyone who already has a very clear idea of what they want there website to be. In other words, you have already conceived:
- The Objective of the Website
- Page Structure
- All Images
- All Written Content
The consultancy package is for you if you feel you would benefit from both my marketing and design expertise.
I help my Consultancy Package clients determine and create things such as:
- Business Goals/Objectives
- Website Goals/Objectives
- Website Structure
- Image Ideas
- Colour Scheme Ideas
- Written Content
- And more
The "content" is all of the media that will make up the website. Including:
No problem! Get in touch and we can discuss a bespoke solution for you,
Payments can be made via TransferWise.com (via transfer)
I ask for 50% of the payment as a deposit once we have come to an agreement for the project to begin.
A further 25% is then due once the prototype design has been signed off.
The final 25% is due upon completion.